Summary: Transports and distributes products promptly to customers at various locations, represents our Company in a professional and cost-effective manner and provides exceptional customer service to our client base.
A Commercial driver license is required for large/heavy trucks. A heavy truck and Tractor-trailer driver operates a truck with a capacity of at least 26,000 pounds gross vehicle weight or more. A Class C license is required for all other trucks, such as bobtails. A light or delivery service truck driver operates a truck weighing less than 26,000 pounds gross vehicle weight.
A clean driving record is required for all drivers at all times. Heavy truck drivers fall under the DOT random drug test regulations; Light drivers are on the non-DOT random drug testing; however, all drivers are subject to the Company’s Drug and Alcohol Policy.
Although most drivers have regular routes, some might have a different route each day. Schedules may also vary: some drivers work five days per week, eight hours per day, and 40 hours per week. Other drivers work 10 hours per day, four days per week, and some Saturdays.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conducts inspections of vehicle and completes a Daily Vehicle Inspection Report before departing to deliver goods, ensuring breaks, windshield wipers and lights are in good working order; fire extinguisher, flares and other safety equipment are aboard and in working order.
- Reports all equipment that is inoperable, missing or loaded improperly to dispatch.
- Positions blocks and secures items for transport.
- Packs and loads products onto trucks according to Company’s specifications.
- Transports and delivers orders to customers on assigned routes.
- Maintains ongoing communication with route dispatcher for instructions, directions or re-routing.
- Stops at customer service window for paperwork to be checked in; checks All COD’s, cash or checks at the customer service window.
- Unloads goods as per client specifications.
- Reviews deliveries and obtains delivery confirmations from each customer; may be required to collect payment for goods.
- Maintains all other required daily driver documentation, including a Driver’s Truck Log in compliance with state and federal regulations.
- Maintains vehicle cleanliness and prevents damages.
- Immediately reports any and all damages to the vehicle and completes a damage report.
- Reports all mechanical problems as soon as they are noticed to minimize repair bill and avoid anything that could contribute to an accident.
- In case of an accident, completes an accident report recording all information pertaining to other parties, including taking pictures, and reports accident promptly to Human Resources.
- Operates equipment such as: pallet jack to unload or disperse cargo.
- Follows the distribution center’s policies and procedures when delivering product to Syscos, US Foods, Jacmar, Platinum and other distributions centers.
- Operates in a safe manner and follows all laws and regulations.
- Uses individual judgment to determine whether events or processes comply with laws, regulations, or standards.
- Identifies oneself as being a driver when calling customer service.
- Reads maps and follows written and oral instructions.
- Ensures a half hour (1/2) lunch break is taken and noted on route sheet.
- Communicates effectively, professionally and courteously with all contacts -- internal and external.
- Maintains current knowledge of organizational policies and procedures.
- Meets all applicable safety requirements for the position and work environment including prompt reporting of injury.
- Organizes workload throughout the day to meet project timelines and deadlines.
- Job may require occasional overtime hours to meet deadlines.
BRC / Food Safety Responsibilities:
- Responsible for ensuring product safety during processing and maintaining the integrity of the Company’s high quality products.
- Responsible for ensuring products meet all legal requirements.
Education and/or Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalency.
- Prior industry experience desired.
Team Work, Attendance and Punctuality, Dependability, Initiative, Safety, Communication and Problem Solving.