The University of Southern California (USC), founded in 1880, is located in the heart of downtown L.A. With more than 25,000 employees, USC is the largest private employer in the City of Los Angeles. The university is comprised of twenty one different schools and academic units that serve more than 40,000 undergraduate and graduate students. Since 2009, the university has operated an academic health system known as Keck Medicine of USC, which includes three university-owned hospitals, numerous outpatient and satellite clinics and more than 900 faculty physicians practicing in USC Care Medical Group. As an employee of USC, you will be a part of a world-class research university and a member of the “Trojan Family,” which is comprised of the faculty, students and staff that make the university what it is.
The Office of the General Counsel (OGC) provides legal services to USC and its subsidiaries and certain affiliates. The mission of the Office of the General Counsel is to assist USC through its various schools and departments with legal issues and transactions, to educate USC’s administrators and faculty with regard to the laws applicable to USC’s operations, to defend the university against litigation, to provide advice to assist the university administration and faculty to pursue their objectives and goals, with an overall objective of protecting USC from liability. The OGC is responsible for addressing all of the legal issues arising out of the activities of USC, its various schools and departments, and Keck Medicine of USC. OGC is comprised of thirteen attorneys, including the General Counsel, each with different areas of expertise.
This position serves as the lead labor and employment attorney in the OGC and, in collaboration with business leaders, is responsible for management and handing of all labor and employment matters at the university and Keck Medicine of USC. This position reports directly to the General Counsel. The position will be located at both campuses – University Park Campus and Health Sciences Campus. Prior in-house and health care labor experience is strongly preferred.
• Manage all labor related legal matters, including, but not limited to: union organizing campaigns, union elections, collective bargaining, grievances and labor arbitration.
• Provide legal advice with regard to both faculty and staff in the labor and employment areas, including employee benefits issues, and will supervise outside counsel as needed.
• Oversee and review the internal and external investigations of complaints concerning violations of university policies, laws, and regulations regarding discrimination and sexual harassment.
• Draft, review, analyze, and negotiate employment-related agreements, including consulting, severance, incentive, non-compete, and confidentiality agreements.
• Proactively advise senior management on compliance with employment laws in a manner that accomplishes business objectives without undue risk.
• Establish a rapport and working relationship with employees at all levels in order to act as a trusted advisor and encourage the proactive use of in-house legal counsel as a preventative measure for human resources issues.
• Perform other tasks as assigned by General Counsel or her designee.
The University of Southern California values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity in employment.
Minimum Field of Expertise
J.D. and member of California Bar. General business law with extensive litigation experience.
Prior in-house and health care labor experience is strongly preferred.
Manages outside counsel; supervises junior attorneys as needed.
Supervises - Nature of Work
Preferred Field of Expertise
Knowledge of labor and employment law and experience representing health care providers
1007221 Posted Date: 09/01/2016 Apply Share this Job Facebook LinkedIn Twitter Email
Recently viewed jobs
No recently viewed jobs.
With just one click and a connection to LinkedIn, we can connect you with jobs that match your work experience.
Start matching Stay connected with University of Southern California-- Stay connected with University of Southern California Sign up to receive job alerts Email AddressSelect interests
ADDRemove Confirm Email Recently added jobs
- Budget Technician Los Angeles, California 3858460
- Student Programs Manager Los Angeles, California 3858461
- Research Specialist Beverly Hills, California 3858459
Stay connected to USC
Helpful information for applicants External applicants Internal applicants (current USC employees)
USC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law or USC policy. USC will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring ordinance. We provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should contact USC Human Resources by phone at (213) 821-8100, or by email at email@example.com.. Inquiries will be treated as confidential to the extent permitted by law.
Read USC’s Clery Act Annual Security Report Required legal notices
Interested in working for USC on a temporary basis? Contact Trojan Talent Source (operated by Kelly Services) at (800) 409-1066 or 15HD@kellyservices.com.