The cashier/receptionist is a member of the health care dept team who functions under the direction guidance & supervision of the dept mgr, assistant mgr, or designee. The position greets & checks in all patients reporting to the medical office in a professional & courteous manner. This position is responsible for accurate check-in, check-out where applicable, info capture & revenue collection per procedures. Responsible for having a general knowledge of the medical center in order to assist patients w/ questions & concerns. Requires extensive use of the computer. Essential Functions: • Follow approp patient registration/check-in policies & procedures
• Verify and/or update all demographic info
• Working knowledge of Health Plan coverage types, for example (but not limited to) traditional, deductible, etc
• Check in patients by following check-in policies & procedures & using the check-in systems or manual visit records when the systems are down
• Determine patient’s membership/benefits according to the benefit display
• Create accounts as necessary
• Capture & populate workers’ compensation data on the correct screens & select the correct coverage as necessary
• Manage electronic in-basket
• Use notes function where applicable to document prepayments
• Obtain a patient medical record number when necessary
• Order Health Plan cards as needed
• Collect co-pays & fees, inform patients of available payment options
• Generate approp encounter forms per procedure electronically or manually if the system is down
• Direct patients to approp area after the check-in process is completed
• Check out patients by following checkout policies & procedures & using the checkout systems or manual visit records when the systems are down, if applicable
• Follow approp procedures when registering exception-type patients such as non-members, out-of-area health plan members, Medicare, Media-Cal, & industrial patients
• Initiate & complete required forms for all appts per policy
• Access necessary info from the fee schedule to determine approp fees based on CPT-4 and/or service codes in order to collect approp revenue
• Referring to other dept & administrative services for further info, e.g., Member Services, Medical Secretaries, & Business Office
• Initiating & completing approp forms as needed, for e.g., Release Of Info, Patient Financial Responsibility
• Tracking referrals to specialty care by utilizing the consultation/referral system as needed in those areas where this responsibility currently exists for the individual in this classification where this responsibility is not part of an existing position, it cannot be added w/out written agreement as part of the LMP
• Demonstrate knowledge of & application to Patient Admin Appt Registration
• Maintain the patient will-call area box if applicable
• Communicate w/ clinical & business office staff as needed
• Handle cash according to the Cash Handling Responsibility Agreement (CHRA)
• Comply w/ all applicable cash handling policies & procedures (see reference list)
• The registration designee is responsible for the safekeeping of change funds, all revenue collected during the shift, all assigned revenue documents, & all keys assigned for cash control
• Obtain, secure, & ensure sufficient denominations to provide change
• Reconcile shift & deposit funds according to the CHRA
• Use correct procedures to document & report discrepancies
• Working towards positive operational outcomes
• Perform other duties as required
Basic Qualifications: Experience
• Six (6) months of work experience.
Education • High School Diploma/GED. License, Certification, Registration • N/A Additional Requirements: • Basic knowledge and use of computer and computer keyboard.
• Passing of a PC skills assessment.
• Ability to read and follow instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
• Communicate with health care providers, staff, patients and visitors.
• Professional phone etiquette.
• Ability to multi-task, organize, manage time and prioritize workflow in a complex environment.
• Knowledge of computer and computer keyboard.
• Must be willing to work in a Labor Management Partnership environment.
• Also refer to the detailed responsibilities outlined in the appropriate (United Healthcare Workers - West) Cash Handling Responsibility Agreement. Preferred Qualifications: • N/A
Skills testing*:PC skills test (able to pass PC skills assessment)
Primary Location:California-Santa Rosa-Santa Rosa Hospital 401 Bicentennial Wy.
Scheduled Hours (1-40):0
Working Hours Start:Call-in/On-Call
Working Hours End:Call-in/On-Call
Employee Group (Union Affiliation):United Healthcare Workers - West
Job Level:Entry Level
Public Department Name:OBGYN
Job Eligible for Benefits:No
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran, or disability status.