Job Location USA - CA-San Diego
Required Clearance Secret
Posted Date 3/2/2017
Responsibilities for this Position:
General Dynamics Mission Systems has an immediate opening for a DDG-1000 Combat Systems Test Coordinator. This position provides an opportunity to further advance the cutting-edge technology that supports some of our nation’s core defense/intelligence services and systems. General Dynamics Mission Systems employees work closely with esteemed customers to develop solutions that allow them to carry out high-stakes national security missions.REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES AND TASKS:
The candidate will work with management to accomplish assigned tasking and or troubleshooting efforts to support the ship’s mission. The Combat Systems Test Coordinator will be responsible for troubleshooting and testing the hardware and software components to demonstrate all functionality of the Combat Systems suite. The selected candidate will be the lead Engineer for testing on the assigned system under the direction of the Deputy Program Management of Engineering (DPME). The candidate will be responsible for the status and grooming of the assigned system to prepare for test. The candidate will engage in troubleshooting efforts and will report anomalies to management and create problem reports. The candidate will also support software regression testing involving their assigned system. The Combat Systems Test Coordinator will work within the parameters and rules common to US Naval vessels. The candidate will work with the DPME’s to determine the appropriate time to employ sub-contractors to work on specific equipment.
- Analyzes effects of projects upon various areas such as Engineering, Facilities, and the labor pool to determine the most practical and cost-efficient methods to obtain the required resources
- Designs, develops, analyzes, troubleshoots and provides technical skills during research and/or product development
- Develops test plans and preventative maintenance programs
- Develops, implements, installs, tests, modifies and/or operates complex equipment and systems
- Participates on the engineering work team and supports other team members concerning experiment design, materials, equipment setup/maintenance and related issues
- Instructs customers in the operation and maintenance of the system
- Participates in the tactical planning for completion of identified project segment
- Provides technical expertise to customers, users or company personnel either at domestic or international field sites
The candidate will be based in San Diego, CA and will support the DDG-1000 platforms, including travel to other domestic ports as appropriate. The selected candidate will be expected to travel 40% of the time supporting DDG-1000 (Admiral Zumwalt -class ships) and will work within the parameters and rules common to U.S. Naval vessels.KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
The DDG-1000 Combat Systems Test Coordinator will be expected to provide verification and validation of GDMS related combat systems and weapons systems have been installed properly and can be operated and maintained in a safe and effective manner. Assist the ships forces in achieving sustainable level of combat and weapons system operational readiness. Documenting the requirements for all GDMS support and material readiness, software installation, repair and testing of electronic systems. Additional duties may be assigned, including but not limited to logistics, material, and safety responsibilities as it relates to the Combat Systems:
- Generate, review and consult on problem reports and change requests, supporting Change Control Board / Engineering Review Board’s
- Support coordination, planning, scheduling and reviews of processes and documentation
- Develop and coordination with Program Officers and Engineers a Combat Systems test plan and other requirements.
- Generate Combat Systems related reports and status updates for all activities with recommendations to corrective actions
- Participate in meetings, program reviews, coordinate optimal resource requirements and identifies all required in port and at sea testing and support requirements.
- Provide Preventative and Corrective Maintenance guidance during shipboard Availabilities and Windows Of Opportunities
- Builds productive team and internal/external working relationships
- Lead a team of technicians, engineers, and government staff as appropriate
- Provide Classroom and Hands-On Training to employees as assigned
- Exercise creative thinking and ideation to advance our business performance
- Deliver innovative, flexible, integrated solutions to meet customers changing business needs
- Support and engage in programs, projects and practices behind the GDMS culture and strategy, and comply with all policies and procedures
- Follow industry and department trends and developments to ensure GDMS services are consistent with, and/or superior to, industry best practicesPREFERRED DEGREE TYPES AND EXPERIENCE:
- Formally trained, operated and maintained the Combat Systems on-board DDG-1000 (Admiral Zumwalt -class ships)
- This individual must have strong oral and written communication skills and be proficient with typical PC applications to include Word, Project, Excel and Access
- Professional etiquette and ability to operate effectively in a distributed team environment and effectively communicate customer initiatives, strategy and mission needs
- Familiar with U.S. Naval protocol and the ability to work directly with interfaces in uniform and with engineers in other companies
- Superior organizational and time management skills
- Familiar with U.S. Navy Work Authorization Forms (WAF) and Tag-Out Programs
Basic Qualifications :
Bachelor’s degree in systems engineering, a related specialized area or field is required (or equivalent experience) plus a minimum of 2 years of relevant experience; or Master’s degree. Agile experience preferred.CLEARANCE REQUIREMENTS:
Department of Defense Secret security clearance is preferred within a reasonable amount of time. Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is required.
General Dynamics Mission Systems (GDMS) engineers a diverse portfolio of high technology solutions, products and services that enable customers to successfully execute missions across all domains of operation. With a global team of 13,000+ top professionals, we partner with the best in industry to expand the bounds of innovation in the defense and scientific arenas. Given the nature of our work and who we are, we value trust, honesty, alignment and transparency. We offer highly competitive benefits and pride ourselves in being a great place to work with a shared sense of purpose. You will also enjoy a flexible work environment where contributions are recognized and rewarded. If who we are and what we do resonates with you, we invite you to join our high performance team!
General Dynamics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. EOE/Disability/Veteran