To supervise the operations of a regional laboratory service (Hematology, Chemistry, Microbiology, Core Lab, Cytology, Transfusion Service, Molecular, etc.). To supervise laboratory staff performing moderate and high complexity laboratory tests and to ensure the delivery of high quality, effective information to all providers and Health Plan staff. To research options and lead the effort toward continuous improvement in the quality of laboratory services. To serve as a regional resource and technical operational liaison in his/her specialty to pathologists, providers, and facility laboratories, in the Mid-Atlantic States Region.
• Manages QC/QA activities in accordance with the Regional Laboratory QA/QC plan. Routinely prepares interpretive reports to laboratory management utilizing regional quality control and quality assurance information to improve quality of patient information. Assures that all required QC/QA elements to satisfy regulatory and accreditation standards are met or exceeded.
• Ensures specialty laboratories maintain compliance with all proficiency-testing requirements and procedures are consistent with current lab practices and CLSI guidelines. Ensures laboratory maintains compliance with all federal, state, and inspecting agency regulations as well as Kaiser Permanente policies and procedures.
• Works in an effective partnership with the Laboratory Operations Manager and the MAPMG Director of Clinical Laboratories to ensure compliance with quality assurance, accreditation requirements and regulatory standards.
• Serves as a specialty technical consultant to the laboratory management team, pathologists, and providers. May conduct provider in-service sessions regarding specimen collection techniques and collection material changes as required.
• Communicates with Laboratory Operations Manager regarding service area strategies, opportunities for internalization, operations, and issues that impact laboratory service. Completes reports as assigned within established timeframes.
• Provides effective on-going communication with facility Laboratory Supervisors to include quality of specimen handling, problem resolutions, procedural changes, and enhancements to regional services strategies.
• Manages laboratory personnel to include hiring, training, scheduling, payroll preparation, evaluation and competency testing, counseling, disciplining, and terminating in conformance with union contracts, personnel policies, EEO and Affirmative Action.
• Provides technical direction to staff in the performance of all approved laboratory procedures in the specialty discipline. Resolves technical problems and ensures that remedial actions are taken. May perform technical duties as required.
• Supervises and maintains the operations of a regional laboratory service.
• Ensures that the regional laboratories provide accurate, timely and appropriate information to providers.
• Implements regional laboratory standards involved with new or amended procedures and policy changes on a timely basis.
• Manages information flow to staff effectively regarding policy and procedural changes. Maintains records of all training and meetings within the lab structure.
• Prepares and maintains regional laboratory payroll and non-payroll budgets within approved budgetary guidelines.
• Manages information flow to staff regarding policy and procedure changes.
• Participates in internal and external educational programs to develop management skills.
• Interfaces with contract reference laboratory staff to ensure accurate, timely, and appropriate laboratory information.
• This job description is not all encompassing.
• Minimum six (6) years of full-time comprehensive laboratory experience in high complexity testing required.
• Meets CLIA ’88 qualifications for a general supervisor of high complexity testing with a minimum four (4) years in a specialty department required.
• Bachelor’s degree in medical technology or related field (hematology, chemistry, microbiology, core lab, cytology, transfusion service, molecular) required.
• High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) required.
License, Certification, Registration
• Medical Technologist (ASCP), Cytotechnologist (ASCP) or equivalent certification required.
• N/A Preferred Qualifications:
• Minimum two (2) years of supervisory experience preferred.
• Master’s degree in related field preferred.
• Specialty certification preferred.
Primary Location:Maryland-Rockville-Rockville Regional Laboratory 6111 Executive Blvd.
Scheduled Hours (1-40):40
Working Days:Monday-Friday, Assigned Weekends
Working Hours Start:Variable
Working Hours End:Variable
Employee Group (Union Affiliation):Salaried, Non-Union, Exempt
Job Level:Team Leader/Supervisor
Public Department Name:Core Laboratory-Chemistry; Hematology; Flow
Travel:Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Eligible for Benefits:Yes
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran, or disability status.