Under direct supervision, monitors receipt of requisitions for all diagnostic imaging procedures and forwards appropriately; greets and schedules patients for diagnostic imaging procedures based on varying scheduling parameters depending upon modality; reviews written instructions with patient on pre-examination preparations and provides correct preparation items; directs expedite and stat exam requests appropriately and confirms appointment; obtains completed patient history form and relays to technical staff; identifies and quotes patient co-pay fees from established fee schedules and correlates with patient’s current health plan coverage; In addition, refers guardians of pediatric patients with known cases of claustrophobia to physician for sedation orders; facilitates scheduling of pediatric cases, including obtaining sedation orders, reserving operating room and arranging for anesthesia support; cancels and reschedules patient appointments in manner that assures patient comprehension and satisfaction. Essential Functions:
• Greets and communicates with patients in friendly, confident and courteous manner conducive to personalized patient care environment; attempts to allay patients’ anxieties, fears and concerns regarding procedures.
• Determines status and nature of examination; recognizes and responds appropriately to special problems and scheduling requirements based upon type of procedure and available resources; notifies patient of available appointment times; strives to prevent imaging conflicts due to varying imaging methods; expedites patient through proper channels.
• Determines and explains fee involved; obtains insurance coverage information of any non-plan referrals; notifies non-plan patients of pre-payment, pre-authorization and billing procedures; requests letters of preauthorization of pre-approval if indicated.
• Obtains, extends, computes, and verifies variety of charges pertaining to services rendered, health plan dues, and medications etc; receives cash, check, or credit card for payment; verifies information is accurate on all checks; assures valid authorization is received for all credit card payments; validates checks and credit slips; issues receipts accordingly.
• Operates computerized cashiering system by entering transactions to post appropriate charges for services and supplies; refunds customers for overpayments of various services within authorized limits; assures all appropriate documents and signatures are obtained; enters refunds in computerized cashiering system.
• Enters adjustments in computerized cashiering system for services rendered according to established guidelines; reconciles supporting documents to appropriate GL’s; balances monies, checks, credit card charge drafts daily against cash jacket report and/or transaction reports. reconciles and resolves any discrepancies; reports to lead or supervisor as appropriate.
• Prepares and processes bank deposits; prepares and logs deposits for armored car pick up; orders routine bank deposit supplies for cashiering area; orders and maintains change fund; buys and sells change from department cashiers; resolves any discrepancies; compiles data and information for special and routine reports, studies, and statistics as requested; uses up-to-date charge schedules and price lists for use in calculating charges and quoting estimates.
• Receives, verifies, logs & secures deposit bags from other departments; prepares, compiles, and logs deposit bags for armored car pick-up; compiles, analyzes and trends data & information as necessary for special & routine reports, studies, statistics as necessary.
• Receives telephone requests from patients, nursing and other clinical personnel; responds or forwards telephone requests as appropriate; answers questions regarding scheduling of appointments and examination preparations for all modalities at all clinics.
• Collects, documents and correlates clinical patient history pertinent to procedure being scheduled; transcribes physician orders and other pertinent information into Radiology Information System.
• Reviews written instructions with patient on pre-examination preparations and forwards questions to technical staff as necessary; explains importance of complying with preparations; distributes preparation substances necessary for procedure. In addition, schedules pediatric cases with operating room; arranges for anesthesia support; reviews written instructions with pediatric patient and/or guardian, including set anesthesia instruction; forwards questions to Diagnostic Imaging nursing staff as necessary.
• Informs waiting patients of important changes in departmental operations that adversely affect service and/or wait times; coordinates release of patients awaiting immediate interpretation of their procedure.
• Provides feedback to referring physicians regarding patients who are delayed, fail to show, or are unable to be contacted.
• Identifies and quotes patient co-pay fees from established fee schedules; correlates with patient’s current health plan coverage.
• Notifies supervisor or designee of significant delays or operational problems; refers problem situations and complaints to supervisor.
• Receives, prioritizes and relays incoming phone messages to various subsections and personnel within diagnostic imaging department; operates departmental paging system.
• Rotates through all reception stations within department on regular basis, including Angio/IR.
• Cancels or reschedules patient appointments by telephone or correspondence; PROVIDES appropriate appointment and preparation information to insure patient comprehension and satisfaction.
• Refers guardians of pediatric patients with known cases of claustrophobia back to physician for sedation order; obtains sedation order from referring physician and schedules procedure.
• Demonstrates knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to provide care and/or service appropriate to age groups served.
• Demonstrates knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to provide culturally sensitive care and/or service.
• Performs other duties and accepts responsibility as assigned.
• One (1) year clerical experience in healthcare facility.
• High school diploma; or equivalent combination of education (lesser)&experience may be considered in lieu of requirements.
License, Certification, Registration
• N/A Additional Requirements:
• Type 40 wpm.
• Demonstrated knowledge of and skill in adaptability, customer service, detail-oriented, initiative, interpersonal relations, oral communication, problem solving, teamwork, and written communication.
• Demonstrated knowledge of and skill in word processing, spreadsheet, and database PC applications.
• Talking to co-workers, customers, outside vendors, and on the telephone.
• Reading, writing, speaking and understanding English.
• Training/giving and receiving instructions.
• Mathematical ability, attention to detail (e.g. organization, prioritization, proofing), concentration and alertness. Preferred Qualifications:
• Experience in diagnostic imaging function.
• Post high school coursework in office procedures or teaching.
• Demonstrated knowledge or training in medical terminology.
Primary Location:Hawaii-Wailuku-Wailuku Medical Offices 80 Mahalani St.
Scheduled Hours (1-40):1
Working Days:Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun
Working Hours Start:Varies
Working Hours End:Varies
Employee Group (Union Affiliation):HERE-Local 5
Job Level:Individual Contributor
Job:Administration, Clerical and Support Services
Public Department Name:Reception-Xray
Travel:Yes, 5 % of the Time
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran, or disability status.