In support to National Functions HR, investigates workplace complaints of violation of policy or law w/in the National Business Units received through the KP National Compliance Hotline or through other internal channels. Nature of investigations will vary in scope & seriousness, such that failure to investigate might subject the organization to serious legal & financial risk. Complaints to be investigated may include, amongst other categories, discrimination, harassment, retaliation, inappropriate Mgmt practices, hostile work environment, workplace violence, & unfair treatment. Assesses, analyzes & draws conclusions from investigative evidence. Develops & presents investigative findings & recommendations for corrective action to HR Business Partner & Mgmt, as appropriate. Identifies opportunities for systemic corrective action, & recommends changes to policies or operational practices &/or implementation of training to reduce recurrence of complaints. Serves as HR National Functions subject matter expert on investigative practice. Some national travel may be required. Essential Functions:
• Handles most complex & difficult investigations. Conducts investigations & develops draft responses to external agency EEO discrimination charges for review by legal counsel. Provides consultative services to investigation specialist HRCs & Mrgs. Activities may include, but are not limited to:Conduct of investigations: Strategies w/Legal & HR business partners on investigation. Leads & coordinates investigations requiring multiple investigators. Reviews & edits draft position statements & investigation reports prepared by subordinate staff.
• Investigates the most complex/serious workplace complaints of violation of policy or law w/in the National Business Units received through the KP National Compliance Hotline or through other internal channels. Nature of investigations will vary in scope & seriousness, & may include, amongst other categories, investigation of complaints of discrimination, harassment, retaliation, inappropriate Mgmt practices, hostile work environment, workplace violence, & unfair treatment.
• Independently & w/discretion, formulates plan, processes, & timetables to conduct accurate, complete & thorough investigations w/in specified timeframes & according to specified quality standards.
• Identifies, gathers & preserves relevant hard-copy & electronic documents & other evidence for the investigation.
• Identifies relevant witnesses, & conducts & documents interviews of those witnesses.
• Serves as team lead on day-to-day activities. Provides next-level review of investigations conducted by others, suggesting edits as required.
• Assessment of evidence:Reviews, interprets, analyzes & evaluates statements, documents & physical evidence collected during the investigation.
• Develops & applies knowledge of employment discrimination laws, whistle-blowing laws, rules of evidence (e.g., hearsay, legal privilege) & other laws to investigation plan, investigation & report/response.
• Assesses credibility of witnesses & makes determinations regarding violations of law or KP policy.
• Provide next-level review of evidence gathered in other investigations.
• Development & presentation of investigative findings: Prepares comprehensive & accurate factual & analytical investigative reports to Mgmt, HR, &/or legal counsel.
• Partners w/HR & legal counsel to Influence senior Mgmt, regarding appropriate corrective action resulting from investigative findings.
• Systemic corrective action: Identifies & monitors trends of investigative activity by business unit & other parameters, to be determined.
• This job description is not all encompassing.
Basic Qualifications:Experience• Minimum eight (8) years of experience, with progressive responsibility in Human Resources, to include a minimum three (3) years of direct responsibility conducting employment-related investigations, and other relevant case management and investigation experience.Education• Bachelor’s degree with emphasis in Human Resources or directly related field, OR four (4) years of experience in a directly related field.• High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) required.License, Certification, Registration• N/AAdditional Requirements:• Demonstrated experience and skill in developing and conducting training programs.• Demonstrated experience and skill in conducting complex employment-related investigations and drafting reports on investigations.• Demonstrated experience and skill in the application of conflict resolution techniques in complaint resolution procedures.• Expert working knowledge of applicable state and federal employment laws and regulations.• Established ability to identify, analyze and differentiate investigation issues and processes in employee complaints.• Ability to work independently, influence change, and compile analytical data and trend analysis.• Excellent interpersonal skills (i.e., verbal and written communication).• Ability to travel to various medical centers to conduct in person investigations.
• Ability to work evenings, nights and weekends as needed to conduct corresponding shift employee investigations. • Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment. Preferred Qualifications:• N/A
Primary Location:California-Oakland-Ordway One Kaiser Plaza
Scheduled Hours (1-40):40
Working Hours Start:0800
Working Hours End:1600
Employee Group (Union Affiliation):Salaried, Non-Union, Exempt
Job Level:Individual Contributor
Job:Human Resources / HRIS
Public Department Name:HR National Functions Investigations
Travel:Yes, 25 % of the Time
Job Eligible for Benefits:Yes
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with Federal, state and local laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran, or disability status.