SANTA BARBARA TRUST FOR HISTORIC PRESERVATION
Reports to: Executive Director
Classification: Regular, full time (30 hours/week), exempt
Scope of Position: The Accountant position manages the financial operations of the Trust.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Accounting, general: Establish, perform and monitor all accounting functions, including but not limited to Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll, General Ledger. Prepare monthly financial statements for review by Treasurer and others. Report to committees as requested. Monitor departmental and project expenditures. Ensure accuracy in accounting and appropriate expenditure of budgeted and restricted funds. Other related data entry and reporting.
- Accounts Payable: Data entry for accounts payable, processing invoices, printing checks weekly, obtaining signatures, mailing as appropriate. Reconcile vendor statements. Work with vendors. Maintenance of accounts payable files. Monthly accounts payable and credit card reconciliations.
- Bank Account Management: Manage and reconcile bank accounts on a monthly basis. Serve as point of contact for bank accounts and investment accounts.
- Tax and government agency reporting: Prepare and submit reports, including independent contractor reports (1099s), quarterly sales tax, Registry of Charitable Trusts, etc.
- Cash handling: Supervise office staff in cash handling and banking function.
- Payroll Monitor payroll info on PEO payroll platform, and reconcile monthly payroll reports for general ledger. Interface with PEO regarding payroll questions.
- Facilitate benefit packages for qualified employees.
- Budgeting: Prepare annual and other period budgets, in conjunction with staff and Board representatives.
- Audit: Work with Trust’s auditing firm to conduct the annual audit of the Trust’s financial position and operations.
- Risk management: Manage insurance coverages as needed in conjunction with Board subcommittee.
- Grants: Prepare financial information for grant applications, as requested.
- Events/Fundraisers: Supervision and oversight of event revenue and expense.
- Meetings: Attend staff meetings, Board Meeting and Board Committee meetings, including, but not limited to, Finance, Investment, and Audit Committees.
The Trust is a diverse organization with a small staff and many activities. All staff members, including the Accountant, must be versatile and cooperative in carrying out a variety of responsibilities and duties, as assigned by the Executive Director.
BA degree required in accounting or related field required. Minimum two years’ experience in a comparable position required. Previous nonprofit experience desired. Coursework in nonprofit business administration and accounting preferred. Knowledge of cash handling procedures. Requires strong oral, written, organizational, and interpersonal skills. Strong computer skills required including Microsoft Office and accounting software required, knowledge of Blackbaud products desirable. Professional and confident manner, and confidentiality required. Demonstrated ability to perform well under pressure and strong experience in customer service.
Start date: ASAP
Usual schedule: 6 hours daily, Monday - Friday.
Salary: $38,000 - $48,000 (commensurate with experience) annual
Benefit package to include 403(b) plan participation, including employer match, paid sick leave and prorated holiday and vacation time.