SALARY RANGE: $16.98 - $20.72 per hour
LOCATION AND WORK SCHEDULE:
There are various permanent, part-time positions ranging from 10 hours per week to 19 hours per week, school year for the Office of Child Development Morning Care and Afterschool Programs.
The hours of assignment are as follows:
Morning Care: 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m., Monday through Friday
Afterschool: 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m., M, T, Th, F; 1:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m., W
DEFINITION OF POSITION:
Under the direction of an assigned supervisor, assist in providing care, supervision and learning activities to children in a classroom or other learning environment; assist with assignments, meals, play, hygiene, cleaning and various other activities to meet the needs and interests of the children; perform a variety of clerical support duties; and performs other related duties as required.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this class.
- Assist in providing care, supervision and instruction to preschool age and school age children in a classroom or other learning environment.
- Provide children with proper examples, emotional support, friendly attitude and general guidance; assist the teacher with the development and implementation of classroom activities.
- Assist individual and small groups of children with projects and assignments; assist children with letter and word pronunciation and recognition; assist with planning and implementing a variety of activities to meet the needs and interests of the children; assist children with homework and classroom assignments; read age-appropriate stories to students.
- Observe and control behavior of students in the classroom and during outdoor activities according to approved procedures; assist in the Desired Results Developmental Profile Assessment of student skills and progress; report progress regarding child performance and behavior.
- Perform a variety of clerical duties in support of classroom activities such as preparing, typing, duplicating and filing instructional materials; log students in and out of classroom as directed; maintain student files as assigned.
- Assure the health and safety of students by following established practices and procedures; maintain learning environment in a safe, orderly and clean manner; clean, set up, and set out toys and instructional materials; perform light housekeeping duties including washing dishes, clearing lunch tables and sweeping floors as assigned.
- Assist with snack and lunch time as assigned; prepare snacks; set up and clean eating areas; assist with washing children's hands and faces after play times and meals as needed; assist children with toileting as needed.
- Attend assigned meetings, conferences and in-services.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Any combination equivalent to: graduation from high school and six (6) college semester units in Early Childhood Education.
Child guidance principles and practices; classroom procedures and appropriate child conduct; safe practices in classroom and playground activities; basic subjects taught in District schools, including arithmetic, grammar, spelling, language and reading; basic instructional methods and techniques; correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary; classroom procedures and appropriate student conduct; operation of standard office and classroom equipment; oral and written communication skills; interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy; basic record-keeping techniques.
Assist with anecdotal record keeping and the Desired Results Developmental Profiles; assist in providing care, supervision and instruction to preschool and school-age children in a classroom or other learning environment; assist with planning and implementing a variety of activities to meet the needs and interests of the children; assist in the preparation of instructional materials and provide routine clerical support; assist with eating and housekeeping activities as directed; understand and follow oral and written directions; establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others; communicate effectively both orally and in writing; read, write and speak English; monitor, observe and report student behavior and progress according to approved policies and procedures; operate standard office and classroom equipment; observe health and safety regulations; perform clerical duties related to classroom activities; maintain records and files.
To apply please visit our website at