Motorcar Parts of America, Inc. (MPA), is recognized as one of the largest re manufacturers of starters and alternators for North America. We are a publicly traded company registered on NASDAQ and NYSEC under the symbol MPAA.
We have a career building opportunity for a Cost Accountant. This position is based at our corporate office in Torrance, California.
Responsible for the accurate and timely calculation of product and component standard costs as well as period-end inventory reports and related journal entries. Requires a good grasp of more complex manufacturing standard cost systems and attention to detail. Requires frequent interaction with various levels of personnel in accounting and other departments of the company.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following: Other duties may be assigned.
- Review bills of materials and routings for completeness and usability in an enterprise resource planning (ERP) system
- Compile cost data for quarterly standard labor and overhead standard cost calculations for each manufacturing process by location.
- Analyze manufacturing variance accounts each month and prepare management summaries
- Review core, raw material and packaging standard costs and make appropriate updates on a quarterly basis.
- Review purchase price variance accounts monthly.
- Review monthly cycle count reports for large variances. Monitor inventory transactions for large quantities and errors.
- Review monthly Excess and Obsolete Inventory Report and calculate reserve adjustments.
- Reconcile perpetual to G/L inventory balances on a monthly basis. Prepare journal entries.
- Assist in the co-ordination of the annual multi-site physical inventory.
- Serve as backup to the Cost Accounting Manager in all G/L transaction posting, standard journal entries and account reconciliations.
- Assist Cost Accounting Manager as a resource to Operations regarding all cost accounting and inventory issues, reporting and analysis.
- Perform other directly-related appropriate duties as assigned.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience as an Inventory or Cost Accountant
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance or Accounting preferred
- Experience with ERP software (QAD 2008 preferred)
- Must have Advanced MS Excel skills with an emphasis on pivot tables, macros and functions
- Must have MS Access skills-create tables, data import, create queries
- An understanding of GAAP in relation to inventory
- Experience with Internal Audit and Sarbanes-Oxley requirements in relation to Cost Accounting and Inventory Control
- Bilingual Spanish/English a plus
Ability to travel domestically and/or internationally, if required
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package, which includes Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & AD&D Insurance, 401K Retirement Savings Plan and other company sponsored programs.
If you have an interest in new challenges and have relevant experience for this position, please send us your resume along with your salary requirements.