Taft-Hartley Benefit Funds – Los Angeles, CA
The Carpenters Southwest Administrative Corporation (“CSAC”), located in Los Angeles, California, is currently seeking a full-time Accounting Supervisor, reporting directly to the Chief Financial Officer/Controller. The successful candidate will assume overall responsibility for building and managing the Corporate Accounting Department responsible for tracking financial transactions of the different organizations that CSAC administers. CSAC consists of Health, Pension, Annuity and Vacation Funds for 23,500+ active and retired carpenters, their dependents and beneficiaries across eight southwestern states including, California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Colorado and Wyoming. This position reports to the Executive Management team of the Funds, with assets in excess of $4 Billion.
In-depth hands-on training in the various areas of corporate accounting will be provided to ensure full integration in all aspects of overseeing the operations of the department.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Accounting Supervisor will have overall responsibility to:
• Perform and manage diversified and confidential accounting functions including maintenance of general ledger, accounts payable, payroll and related functions, accounts receivable, bank reconciliations, bank deposits, and other bank-related financial procedures;
• Supervise and motivate staff as well as review work of Senior Accountant and Payroll/AP Supervisor;
• Post transactions to general ledger and ensure accuracy of financial statements;
• Develop, implement and maintain accounting-related systems, procedures and policies and metrics to ensure adherence to company guidelines;
• Together with the Chief Financial Offer, develop and periodically adjust performance standards for the Corporate Accounting Department concerning the timing, quality and costs of the Department’s work and guide staff to meet those standards;
• Assist in budget preparations and variance reporting, prepare monthly financial statements, and manage financial planning and cash requirements;
• Ensure compliance with local, state and federal agencies payroll and other tax reporting regulations;
• Work with department managers on various accounting requirements and procedures;
• Serve as a liaison to various services, such as money managers, consultants, custodians, attorneys, banks, medical providers, etc. relative to accounting and financial issues and requirements;
• Assist in the preparation of schedules for the annual financial audit;
• Promote an atmosphere of teamwork within the department; and
• Other duties and special assignments.
• Work Experience: The ideal candidate will have a minimum of three (3) years of experience in a senior-level finance position; an accounting position within a Taft-Hartley Trust or collective bargaining environment is a plus as well as experience supervising and motivating staff.
• Educational Background: Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance related field as well as Certified Public Accountant (CPA) licensure is required. Advanced degree and additional relevant certifications a plus.
• Special Skills or Credentials: Demonstrated strong knowledge in accounting and procedures control principles (including GAAP), automated financial and accounting reporting systems, as well as knowledge of state and federal tax and financial regulations. Ability to analyze financial data and prepare financial reports/statements is required. High proficiency in Microsoft Office software including Word, Excel as well as Outlook is required.
• Additional Skills: Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and feel comfortable working in a fast-paced professional environment, possess good judgment, be professional, detail oriented, highly organized, and have excellent interpersonal as well as communication (both written and verbal) skills.
CSAC is an affirmative action employer and encourage applications from all qualified candidates regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, or disability. To apply, please send your cover letter, resume and salary requirements to
or Segal Consulting, Attn: Ms. Agata Zak, 333 West 34th Street, New York, NY 10001. Please include job reference code 917CSACLA when submitting your application.