Located in San Luis Obispo on California’s sunny Central Coast, Cal Poly gives students an unparalleled college experience as well as industry connections in both the Bay Area and Southern California. Cal Poly is consistently recognized as one of the nation’s best values for graduates' return on investment.
Cal Poly is driven by its core philosophy of Learn by Doing — a powerful combination of academic expertise and hands-on experience. Cal Poly Campus Dining is focused on serving a variety of delicious options to fuel our campus community. You’ll find everything from authentic Mexican to Mongolian rice bowls to good ol’ American flavors. Whatever you are in the mood for, you’ll get the extra satisfaction knowing that Campus Dining is committed to local fresh sourcing and other sustainable practices. https://www.calpolydining.com/
The Senior Catering Manager reports directly to the Operations Manager and is responsible for operations and management of the Catering Department. Managed volume of business is between 2-3 million dollars and 3,500+ annual events. The Senior Catering Manager plans, directs and coordinates food service/catering activities in order to promptly deliver the service to customers within the campus community and is primarily responsible for the business development, operational management and final execution by staff of all catered functions on campus. The incumbent is also responsible for profit and loss with respect to managing each event as it pertains to staffing, menu, setting, collateral entertainment, vendor selection, department interaction, and all other necessary or appropriate aspects.
Operations: supervises the Catering Management team which consists of: Culinary Production, Sales teams, and Services Departments, all who have an overall responsibility for each event.
Quality Assurance: institutes and implements operating and service standards and builds systems and tools for monitoring and maintaining quality levels for all types of catering services and events.
Financial Management: manages P&L at the department and individual areas level. Builds and manages annual budget. Implements KPI’s for financial productivity (food, labor, expenses).
People: oversees the quantity and quality of the labor force. Provides direction and tools for training, development and succession planning at all levels. Oversees and approves hiring, discharge and performance evaluations and works with HR on pertinent issues.
Marketing: maintains an annual department marketing plan (branding, menus, showcases, seasonal promotions, and sales).
Culinary: directs the chefs on culinary program, selections and quality and drives innovation.
Events Planning: leads in planning events and delegating the execution. Directs all aspects of the event, including dealing with managers, vendors, supervisors, security, management of the facilities, health and safety, monitors quality standards, and deals independently with client and staffing issues during the event.
- High School degree or equivalent and ten (10) years of progressive, responsible food service experience or graduation from an accredited four-year university with a Bachelor’s degree in Hospitality or related field and six (6) years of food service experience
- Five (5) years of management/supervisory experience
- Preferred qualification: Experience in catering/banquet operations and sales in an educational or large institutional, high volume, and high paced setting
- Extensive knowledge of principles, techniques, terminology, work methods and procedures for catering operations, food production and service to large groups, marketing of catering services, food procurement, budget administration and accounting practices
- Comprehensive industry professional with demonstrated leadership in managing people, events and the overall guest experience
- Financial acumen including P&L analysis, labor productivity standards, staffing and scheduling, budgeting and individual event costing methods
- Excellent negotiating skills
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Word and Excel
- Must possess a valid California driver’s license and have a driving record acceptable to our insurance underwriters
- ServSafe certified within first year of service and maintain certification as required
- Ability to maintain regular and reliable attendance and to work irregular shifts including weekends, evenings, and holidays
- A background check is required for all regular benefited positions
- The person holding this position is considered a Mandated Reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSUExecutive Order 1083 as a condition of employment
Cal Poly Corporation provides excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, retirement, paid sick leave/vacation and holidays. Employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background check, educational and employment verification, and reference check, as required.
Apply Today: https://www.calpolycorporationjobs.org/postings/1058
Salary Range: $59,716-$89,585 per annum
Incumbent must be able to work early mornings, evenings, weekends, and holidays, as needed.
AA/EEO/Disability/Protected Veteran Employer