The Development Director, Annual Giving is responsible for the
strategic development, execution and management of a comprehensive
annual giving program and for leading mid-tier individual
giving. S/he will develop a coordinated matrix of
communication and solicitation strategies involving direct mail,
email, phone, personal visitation, and volunteer engagement, all
focused on shaping a sustainable program of annual support and
increasing donors’ giving. In addition, s/he will foster the
growth of best practices in the supporting areas of gift
processing, data management and donor relations as related to
annual giving and Serving Seniors as a whole.
The Development Director, Annual Giving will carry a portfolio of
donors and be expected to meet fundraising goals. The
Director will also serve as the primary prospect researcher for the
development team with the ultimate goal of building and enhancing
an effective donor pipeline. Event management experience is
required for this position as the Development Director will be the
lead staff in supervising and directing the annual gala and
individual donor events.
The Director must have flexibility to work occasional evenings
and weekends as necessary to meet department goals. This
position reports to the Chief Development and External Affairs
- Plan a year-long direct mail program and lead all components of
that program including drafting letters, determining communication
design, working with the mail house, pulling lists, preparing
reports that accurately reflect the performance of the annual
giving campaign, etc.
- Identify, plan and execute special annual campaigns that
contribute to Annual Giving goals such as board, alumni board,
- Manage and grow a mid-tier individual donor portfolio through
identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship efforts
and seek to identify and grow major gift prospects.
- Maintain a rigorous schedule of contacts with donors, creating
relevant moves management plans, compelling presentations, and
comprehensive fundraising proposals.
- Create and steward donor giving circles.
- Conduct tours with donors and prospects to increase awareness
of Serving Seniors.
- Perform detailed prospect research to support the Director’s
work, the CEO’s needs, and the Chief Development and External
Affairs Officer’s research needs.
- In collaboration with the Director of Activities and
Volunteers, develop and implement a volunteer cultivation plan with
a goal of converting volunteers to donors.
- Working with the Communications & Events Manager, take a
leadership role in overseeing donor events including the annual
- Staff Board Committees
- Prepare reports and analyses as requested
Individual Giving – 50%
Annual Giving Program Strategy and Execution – 25%
Event Management – 15%
Prospect Research – 10%
*Other duties and tasks may be assigned as
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field or equivalent combination of
education and experience
- Minimum 5-7 years of experience in fundraising
- Experience in annual giving, direct mail, and events is
- Proficient in MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint);
Adobe Creative Suite a plus
- Experience with Fundraising software (Donor Perfect
- Excellent analytical, verbal and written communication
- Ability to use good judgment and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to work independently, multi-task, and set priorities
to meet deadlines
- Strong organizational skills and exceptional attention to
- Ability to develop and maintain productive working
relationships with staff, board members, and prospective and
- Team player who can work cooperatively with all staff toward
- Comfort with face-to-face fundraising
Other Skills Include:
- Oral Communication Skills
- Written Communication Skills
- Telephone Etiquette
- Attention to Detail
- Time Management
- Computer Literacy
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time
- Ability to lift up to 20 pounds
How to Apply
Qualified applicants must email their cover letter and resume to
email@example.com with "Development Director, Annual Giving"
in the subject line.