Being part of the Trojan Family means belonging to an amazing international community that reaches beyond cities, industries, and time. Owned and operated by USC, the USC Bookstores embrace talent, nurture skills, and support ambition! A thriving retail organization with nine physical locations, a booming online presence, and over $35 million in annual sales, USC Bookstores are dedicated to creating the Best USC Experience. The Best USC Experience means outstanding customer service, excellent products, and a great place to work. We are committed to USC students, staff, faculty, and fans whether they’re on campus or on the other side of the planet. Do you want to be part of a team that encourages growth, creativity, and connects you to the long-term career that you’ve been looking for? Join the Trojan Family at USC Bookstores!
We are seeking a Senior Manager to join our rapidly growing team.
Are you a strategic, forward-thinking leader? Do you take pride in your ability to communicate, network, and partner with others? Then we want you! Our Bookstores are continually growing, and we need someone who will lead us in strategizing, innovating, and developing. Your knowledge and expertise will be key to our team’s success.
- Implement and maintain tight control of buying, product movement, size coordination, sales efforts, and successful margin enhancement to create profitability.
- Ensure a positive and creative environment for managers and employees through goal-setting, evaluation, and facilitation of communication.
- Produce weekly reports on buying and sales progress. Assist with the budget process and projections. Oversee sales and cost forecasting of assigned unit to ensure budgetary expectations.
- Plan, implement, and direct programs, projects, and activities. Develop and recommend goals and objectives.
- Directly or indirectly supervise all staff through subordinate managers and their supervisors. Monitor staffing needs based on goals and objectives. Perform Manager’s function in Manager’s absence as needed. Determine and/or recommend various units salary administration including raises, promotions, and re-classifications.
- Oversee recruitment, hiring, orientation, training, and supervision of staff. Oversee performance evaluation process, ensuring consistent use of all applicable policies and procedures. Counsel, discipline, and/or terminate employees as required.
- Implement marketing strategies for unit locations and think creatively to produce new possibilities in all areas of operations.
- Develop and implement policies, procedures, and short and long-term strategic plans to enhance section operations with the approval of the Division Director
- This position is tasked with keeping employees motivated to achieve sales plan and KPI goals. A successful candidate will have demonstrated experience in achieving these goals through others.
- This position must work with multiple stores and managers across a large region and coordinate visiting these stores from time to time. A successful candidate must be adept at creating action plans and following up for compliance both in person and remotely via phone and e-mail.
- This position will be responsible for reading reports and financial statements, identifying exception areas and implementing strategies to affect change. A fundamental understanding of retail math is a requirement of the position.
- This position is responsible for providing a consistent service experience across all store locations. A successful candidate will be comfortable providing consistent and timely performance feedback to achieve disciplines in service level.
- This position is responsible for ensuring consistency of visual merchandising across all store locations. A successful candidate will be comfortable providing consistent and timely performance feedback to achieve disciplines in standards.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested. The University reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree.
- Experience: 5 years.
- Management level experience in a University Auxiliary Services section.
- Purchasing and budgeting experience.
- Demonstrated customer service, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to supervise, train, coach, counsel, and hire employees.
- 3 to 5 years in a retail sales leadership role
- 3 to 5 years experience in retail visual merchandising
What We Prefer:
- Master’s Degree.
- 6 or more years of management level experience in a high-volume, fast-paced retail environment.
The Trojan Family Rewards:
We pride ourselves in creating the BEST USC EXPERIENCE, and that begins with our employees! We offer a wide variety of benefits and programs that support our staff and their families including:
- Benefits: dental and vision plans, tuition assistance for our employees and their families, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, 2:1 retirement plan contributions, child care centers and up to $50,000 housing subsidy. And because we are a qualifying public service organization, you may qualify for Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) for educational loans. Don’t believe us? Visit benefits.usc.edu.
- Perks: discounts to USC sporting events, USC Bookstores, wireless plans, travel, accommodations, and local entertainment.
- Career Growth: We are the largest private employer in Los Angeles offering tremendous development opportunities in multiple fields and industries. The Trojan Network connects current and previous members of the Trojan family to create an endless professional network.
This support advocates work-life balance and employee well-being. As members of the Trojan family, employees are connected by the traditions and history that make us proud to be Trojans!
As an equal opportunity employer, USC values and promotes diversity and inclusion in the workplace. The work culture thrives on mutual respect, trust, and synergy amongst all of its members.
USC has great minds that transform the world with their talents and research. Will you be one? Join us!
Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education
Combined education/experience as substitute for minimum experience
Minimum Field of Expertise:
Management level experience in a university Auxiliary Services section
REQ20052539 Posted Date: 11/14/2017
Location/Region: Los Angeles, CA (US)