From fine dining restaurants to residential dining, USC Hospitality serves over 65,000 students, athletes, faculty, and staff, as well as our many visitors. Hospitality is one of the six core business units that comprise USC Auxiliary Services and one of the largest employers on campus. We are renowned for our fresh take on self-operated food concepts with 43 restaurants between both campuses. The team at USC Hospitality is led by innovative executive chefs and directors who strive every day to craft nourishing and wholesome alternatives for our hungry Trojan Family and our guests.
Students, faculty, staff, and visitors to the Trojan campus count on USC Hospitality to provide a fresh, made-to-order, nourishing meal. The RTCC offers a diverse range of convenient dining options, including California Pizza Kitchen, Little Galen, Rosso Oro’s, Popovich Caf, The Habit Burger Grill, Lemonade, Panda Express, Seeds Marketplace, Tutor Hall Caf, Urbn Mrkt, and Verde. We are proud to provide innovative handcrafted dishes, beach-inspired local fare, savory home-style meals and plates from around the world all in one convenient setting. Our guests can also enjoy grab-and-go snacks, pastries, and their favorite coffee beverages at The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, the Annenberg Cart, The Caf, Literatea, Starbucks, Nektar and the Law Caf. Amidst all of the hustle and bustle of student life, our eateries are the ideal social gathering locations to grab a quick bite or enjoy a group meal.
We are seeking a Food Service Manager to join our rapidly growing team.
Enthusiastic, dedicated, supportive, and hardworking – these are just a few of the ways we describe our team. The Food Service Manager will lead us in the pursuit of continued excellence, and will have a chance to make a difference in how this vision is achieved. As our coach and mentor, you will direct all of our fine dining operations, from employee management to event marketing. We are focused on creating a warm, welcoming, and inclusive environment for both our guests and our other team members. You will be responsible for furthering this passion and carrying on our USC pride!
- Provide clear expectations and guidance on job responsibilities to FOH and BOH staff. Hold pre-shift meetings with staff to set clear expectation for each staff member’s role. Monitor employee performance through coaching, training, and employee reviews. Oversee employee timekeeping, staff scheduling, and ensuring staff hours are in line with business needs. Create costed schedules at the beginning of the month based on projected sales and adjust as necessary. Assist with the interviewing, hiring, and development of new employees.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and University policies and procedures.
- Assign weekly budget for purchases and labor based on expected sales for each week. Review budget and invoices on a daily basis. Prepare explanation for fluctuation in financials bimonthly and provide action plan for correction. Plan, implement, and execute business plans and budgets.
- Maintain a safe and healthy environment by following and enforcing sanitation standards and procedures. Ensure health inspection and internal inspection reports are up to date and are maintained. Maintain overall cleanliness, safety, and sanitation for the unit. Report operational maintenance and repairs to the facility.
- Respond to customer comments, concerns, and/or questions. Provide assistance with any guest issues.
- Open and close location, as necessary.
- Conduct spot checks of prepared foods for recipe compliance. Ensure recipes are carried out for accuracy. Conduct monthly inventory to ensure accuracy of cost of goods and inventory levels.
- Place all inventory orders, receive orders, and post invoices. Input sales, cost of goods, and labor numbers into the Daily Sales Report.
- Keep par levels accurate.
- Discover new products to stay on top of industry trends.
- Perform other related duties as assigned or requested. The university reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree.
- Experience: 3 years.
- Management in food service industry.
- Ability to supervise, train, and develop employees.
- Experience working in fast-paced, high-volume restaurant environment.
- Knowledge of standard food handling and sanitation procedures.
- Presents oneself professionally, in line with higher education environment.
What We Prefer:
- 5 years of experience.
- Strategic and tactical management experience in a fast-paced, high-volume restaurant environment.
- Knowledge of supply management, inventory ordering, and budgeting.
- USC Auxiliary Services management level experience.
The Trojan Family Rewards:
We pride ourselves in creating the BEST USC EXPERIENCE, and that begins with our employees! We offer a wide variety of benefits and programs that support our staff and their families including:
- Benefits: dental and vision plans, tuition assistance for our employees and their families, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, 2:1 retirement plan contributions, child care centers and up to $50,000 housing subsidy. And because we are a qualifying public service organization, you may qualify for Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) for educational loans. Don’t believe us? Visit benefits.usc.edu.
- Perks: discounts to USC sporting events, USC Bookstores, wireless plans, travel, accommodations, and local entertainment.
- Career Growth: We are the largest private employer in Los Angeles offering tremendous development opportunities in multiple fields and industries. The Trojan Network connects current and previous members of the Trojan family to create an endless professional network.
This support advocates work-life balance and employee well-being. As members of the Trojan family, employees are connected by the traditions and history that make us proud to be Trojans!
As an equal opportunity employer, USC values and promotes diversity and inclusion in the workplace. The work culture thrives on mutual respect, trust, and synergy amongst all of its members.
USC has great minds that transform the world with their talents and research. Will you be one? Join us!
Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education
Combined education/experience as substitute for minimum experience
Minimum Field of Expertise:
Proficient in the following dimensions of restaurant functions: food planning and
preparation, purchasing, sanitation, security, company policies and procedures, personnel
management, recordkeeping, and preparation of reports. Must possess a valid drivers
license. Must be eligible to work in the United States. Must agree to background and credit
REQ20053375 Posted Date: 11/22/2017 - Thru date - 11/27/2017
Location/Region: Los Angeles, CA (US)