OAK PARK UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
INSTRUCTIONAL ASSISTANT II (SPECIAL EDUCATION)
DEFINITION This is a part time position/full time position working with special education students between the ages of 3 and 21, with the specific assignment based on the needs of the student and program.
SALARY: See current classified salary schedules on website
Under the supervision of a Principal and the direction of certificated staff, assist in providing and reinforcing instruction to individual or small groups of students with special needs and identified disabilities in general or special education environments; prepare instructional materials; provide assistance with self help skills and personal hygiene; and perform clerical duties in support of student performance and behavior.
Assist a certificated teacher in providing academic instruction to individual or small groups of students with special needs and identified disabilities in special or general education environments; provide support to special education students in areas including social skills, motor skills, behavior management, personal hygiene, independence, and self help skills; maintain order in the absence of the teacher; administer individual and group tests; score objective tests and student assignments; maintain student attendance and progress records; collect specific data under the direction of the teacher; escort students to other areas on campus as needed to assist them and monitor their behavior; operate audio-visual equipment and other instructional equipment; communicate with teachers regarding individual student progress and behavior; recommend to teachers modified instructional materials to meet individual student needs; utilize approved behavior management techniques under the direction of the teacher; perform clerical duties in support of classroom activities such as duplicating and filing instructional materials; inventory and order supplies; perform related duties as assigned.
Knowledge of: Basic principles of child guidance and early childhood development; special needs and problems of students with disabilities; basic subjects taught; oral and written communication skills; record keeping methods; effective interpersonal skills.
Ability to: Assist a certificated teacher in an assigned learning environment; tutor students with disabilities in a general or special education setting; reinforce materials presented by the teacher; relate effectively to students with special needs; perform clerical support duties including data collection and progress monitoring; work effectively and cooperatively with teachers, students, parents, and administrators; learn the methods, procedures and limitations of the assignment; monitor students in the classroom and in other locations on campus.
Education and Work Experience: A high school diploma (or its equivalent, one year of experience working with students in an organized setting, AND two years of college (48 units) OR an AA degree (or higher).
General or special education learning environments; other locations on campus as appropriate to support students with special needs.
* Visual capability to read handwritten or typed documents, and the display screen of various office equipment and machines
* Able to conduct verbal conversation
* Able to hear normal range verbal conversation (approximately 60 decibels).
* Able to sit, stand, stoop, kneel, bend, walk.
* Able to climb slopes, stairs, steps, and ladders.
* Able to sit for sustained periods of time.
* Able to kneel or squat for extended periods of time.
* Able to lift up to 70 pounds frequently and 80 occasionally.
* Able to carry 70 pounds frequently, and 80 occasionally.
* Able to push and pull objects weighing up to 80 pounds.
* Able to sustain strenuous manual labor for 4 hours with legal breaks.
* Able to exhibit full range of motion for shoulder external roation and internal rotation.
* Able to exhibit full range of motion for should abduction and adduction.
* Able to exhibit full range of motion for elbow flexion and ext4ension.
* Able to exhibit full range of motion for back lateral flexion.
* Able to exhibit full range of motion for hip flexion and extension.
* Able to exhibit full range of motion for knee flexion.
* Able to demonstrate manual dexterity necessary to assist students with buttoning clothing and eating, operate a computer oor assist staff with toileting procedures.
* Able to operate a variety of office and audio-visual equipment in a safe and efficient manner.
Clicking to submit your resume will not complete the application process.
Go to the CLASSIFIED section
(This is on the linked Employment Opportunities page)
MUST Complete a "CLASSIFIED APPLICATION" &
Letter of Introduction, Current Resume, Current Letters of Recommendation
by fax, physical mail, or in person to 5801 E Conifer Street
About this company
Oak Park Unified School District ~ Educating Compassionate and Creative Global Citizens
The mission of Oak Park Unified School District is to provide students with a strong foundation for learning which meets the challenge of the present and of the future through a balanced education which includes academic achievement, personal growth, and social responsibility.