Requisition #: M11962
Working Title: Pharmacy Support Specialist
Business Entity: MDN - Medical Delivery Network
Cost Center # - Cost Center Name: 0144000 - CSMCF ACO
City: Beverly Hills
Job Category: Allied Health/Clinical
Job Specialty: Pharmacy
Position Type: Regular-F/T
Shift Length: 8hr
Hours: 8:00am - 5:00pm
Days: Monday - Friday
Shift Type: Day
Job Posting: The role of the Pharmacy Support Specialist (PSS) is to support the pharmacist(s), assist with the day-to-day disease management activities, execute and coordinate disease management program functions related to patient outreach and follow-up, medication reconciliation, and reports management. PSS will be collaborating with other staff members to ensure on-going coordination of services for high risk, high cost patients. All duties performed will be under the supervision of a pharmacist.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
• Inbound calls/faxes/electronic communication:
o Scheduling office visits;
o Starting telephone encounters for patient questions for the pharmacist;
o Setting up prescription refill requests for the pharmacist.
• Outreach communication:
o Scheduling office visits and phone appointments;
o Making reminder calls to patients regarding appointments;
o Request for patient medication list or other patient records;
o Communicate with patients other disease management related information as specified by the pharmacist;
o Post-discharge follow up for high risk patients or other identified patients;
o Obtain information from patient as requested;
o Follow up after a medication change or medication compliance issue;
o Confirmation of refill/med pick-up;
o Call pharmacy to obtain/clarify medication fill history.
• Reports Management:
o Provide pharmacist with daily update on status of reports:
Current patient list;
Calls in queue/awaiting response;
o Run weekly registry reports.
• Other Administrative Tasks:
o Ensure education materials are stocked;
o Referral review for appropriateness;
o Assist in patient prescription assistance applications;
o Assist with prior authorizations and other insurance/pharmacy documentation requests and complete forms/paperwork as needed;
o Provide pharmacist with a daily schedule;
o Provide continuing support and coordination of resources for patient/family. Work with case management and social workers to ensure qualified patients receive services which may include: medical care, pharmaceutical assistance, nutrition counseling, physical or occupational therapy, behavioral health services, financial resources, transportation, food assistance;
o Available to cover the Refill Center or other CSMCF Pharmacy Support Specialist duties as requested.
• Office Visit Encounters:
o Review medication list with patient, inform pharmacist of any changes in medications;
o Identify patient’s preferred pharmacy on every visit;
o Prepare patient education materials;
o Add pharmacist(s) to Care Team in CS-Link for all new patients;
o Inform pharmacist(s) of patients’ blood pressure, pulse, weight, and height to support disease management protocols;
o Coordinate with back office staff for IV blood draws, vaccine administration and/or point of care testing if needed.
• Perform additional duties as assigned.
Education Certifications/Licensure Experience Physical Abilities To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS/COMPETENCIES
• High school diploma;
• Registered Pharmacy Technician with the California Board of Pharmacy preferred;
• Two years experience as a pharmacy technician in a retail pharmacy or outpatient pharmacy department, or equivalent education and experience;
• Ability to interact effectively and appropriately via telephone, electronic communication, and in person with medical, clinical, and administrative staff;
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
• Ability to act professionally at all times;
• Demonstrated commitment to superior customer service, including quality, care and concern with each internal and external customer;
• Must be self-motivated and work with minimal supervision, yet able to recognize when it is appropriate to seek assistance;
• Basic computer proficiency in Microsoft Office including, Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook;
• Ability to operate fax machine, photocopier, printer;
• Ability to keep accurate records and pay close attention to detail;
• Ability to accurately perform calculations involving ratios, proportions and percentages;
• Ability to travel, and in possession of reliable transportation inclusive of a current, valid California Driver’s License and automobile insurance (collision and casualty);
• Knowledge of main medication classes and most common medications in those classes;
• Knowledge of medical/pharmacy terminology.
SKILLS AND SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE
• Drug names (trade and generic)
• Latin and chemical abbreviations
• Regulations pertaining to the dispensing of medications
• How to determine storage conditions for pharmaceuticals
• How to determine a drug’s formulary status
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Demonstrates behavior which supports the Cedars-Sinai Health System mission. Attends required orientation and training seminars. Meets production standards within established time requirements. Work product and performance meets quality standards. Demonstrates respect and positive interpersonal skills with patients, clients, the public, managers, and co-workers--a team player. Maintains confidentiality of patient care and business matters and follows HIPAA requirements. Uses, protects, and discloses patient’s protected health information (PHI) only in accordance with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). Observes time, attendance, and dress code standards. Protects the safety of others and of the physical plant and equipment, following institution policies, fire, safety and infection control regulations. Participates in continuing education activities and demonstrates initiative in keeping up-to-date with relevant professional developments.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees classified in this job.
Location/Region: Los Angeles, CA (US)