Mental Health Counselor/Senior Mental Health Counselor
Department: Counseling Center – Mental and Behavioral Health
Provide broad-spectrum, brief counseling and psychotherapy, psychological assessment, consultation, case management/care coordination, and crisis intervention to students. Participate in Center's collaborative care services provided in coordination with our Student Health Center colleagues. Participate in culturally responsive outreach, training, and liaison activities, and provide services to diverse and under-served populations. Participate in the APA approved doctoral internship and other training programs by providing supervision and training to interns and other trainees. Serve as campus and professional organizations liaison. Provide outreach including psychological consultation and psycho-educational programming to students, faculty, and staff. Provide after-hours emergency coverage on a rotating basis and other after-hours services as needed. Fulfill other responsibilities as indicated and assigned. Adhere to professional ethics standards as mandated by state licensing board. Secure and maintain immunizations as mandated by local medical authorities and recommended by the Center for Disease Control. Operate under the close supervision of the Clinical Director. Periodically, this position may be asked to lead or contribute to either ad hoc or ongoing division/campus projects outside the scope of their day-to-day activities. This position operates under the close supervision of the Clinical Director. If not yet licensed the Clinical Director will assign a clinical supervisor. This position exercises supervision over Psychology interns and other trainees as assigned.
Allocation of time to direct services:
• In keeping with national standards, up to 65% of time will be devoted to provide direct services, particularly during times of peak demand. This allocation of time will vary, however, depending on the demand for services the Center experiences during the year. During times of lower demand less time may be devoted to direct services and more time may be devoted to other duties, as assigned by the Clinical Director.
• Direct services include providing initial triage and intake assessments, individual and group counseling and psychotherapy; crisis intervention; case management/care coordination; and psychological assessment.
• All of the time allocations listed are approximate, and will vary significantly depending on demand for services and other factors.
Individual and group counseling and psychotherapy for students, psychological assessment, case management/care coordination:
• Conduct individual and group counseling and psychotherapy following legal, clinical, ethical and professional standards
• Develop treatment plans based on diagnostic information
• Provide case management/care coordination for students referred to community based treatment
• Conduct comprehensive psychological assessments, included mandated assessments of risk to self or others
• Assessment of risk to self or others
• Assessment for possible hospitalization
• Initiate legally mandated reporting of suspected abuse of minors, elderly, or disable persons
• Initiate legally mandated reporting of risk or danger to others
• Provide urgent care coordination/case management
• Provide individual or group debriefings in response to distressing events
Coverage of Center triage hours:
• Provide brief assessment of students' psychological needs
• Arrange for follow-up counseling as needed
• Provide case management/care coordination as needed
After-hours emergency coverage (rotated among staff, typically no more than 6-7 weeks per year):
• On a rotating basis, carry Center's emergency cell phone and be available for after-hours crisis intervention and urgent consultation with members of the university community
• In consultation with Director and other Center colleagues, coordinate Center's response to after-hours psychological emergencies
Consultation and outreach:
• Provide psychological consultation and psycho-educational programing to university community as relevant to the Center's mission
• Develop psycho-educational programming
• Participate in campus committees and task forces as needed or assigned
Training and clinical supervision of interns and other trainees:
• Provide clinical supervision to interns and other trainees, as assigned
• Develop and provide seminars for interns and other trainees, as assigned
Administration, following Center policies and procedures:
• Maintain clinical documentation following Center, state, and HIPAA guidelines
• Attend and participate in staff meetings
• Attend and participate in CC case consultation Wellness InCa Team meetings
• Attend and participate in training and supervision meetings
• Coordinate services with other practitioners and agencies
• Develop written materials
• Complete forms
• Contribute to or lead additional division/campus projects outside of typical duties to help further accomplish student or organizational goals. Additional assignments may be seasonal, ad hoc or ongoing, depending on the project.
• Doctorate in Counseling Psychology or Clinical Psychology (preferably APA-accredited) with internship in Professional Psychology (preferably APA-accredited), or Master's Degree (MSW, MA, MS, Med) in Mental Health Counseling, Marriage and Family Therapy, Social Work, or other related field.
• Licensure or working towards licensure as a psychologist or other mental health provider in California (LCSW, MFT, or LPCC)
• Previous experience in university counseling center preferred
• Previous experience in clinical supervision preferred
• Current knowledge of and adherence to ethical, legal, and professional guidelines
• Special interest coursework, supervised experience and programming background as agency needs dictate
• Supervisory skills
• Demonstrated counseling and communication skills
• Demonstrated crisis intervention skills
Senior Mental Health Counselor:
• Above, plus five or more years of post-doctoral professional experience
Note: Candidates who are licensed psychologists and have expertise in any of the following areas will be given preference. Areas of expertise: disordered eating behaviors / eating disorders, masculinities, crisis management, and bilingual (Spanish) counseling.
Note: The position will be hired either at the Assistant or the Associate level depending on the experience of the candidate selected.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Salary: Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Hours: 40 hours per week; usual work hours 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Closing date: Open Until Filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visitwww.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers' review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
Location/Region: San Diego, CA