USC Gould School of Law is seeking applications for a full-time 12-month (Fixed-Term) position with benefits for an entry level (0 to 1 year experience) Staff Attorney to work in USC Immigration Clinic in the newly created Appellate Project.
The Appellate Project is supported by funding from the Los Angeles Justice Fund and will provide representation to immigrants needing representation with immigration appellate matters, including appeals of removal orders to the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA) and the US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, habeas corpus petitions for appeals of bond decisions, and reopening of removal cases. The Appellate Project is intended to serve primarily detained Los Angeles residents or former residents who have been ordered removed after representing themselves in removal proceedings or in bond hearings. The Appellate Project will work with clients in immigration detention facilities in Adelanto and Orange County.
Staff Attorney will work under the supervision of Immigration Clinic faculty and will work closely with clinical students and will work with clients in detention facilities.
• J.D. degree;
• Admission to California Bar preferred (non-admitted candidates will be considered given DHS practice rules regarding law school graduates);
• 0-1 years of relevant law school clinical and/or academic experience, or law school summer employment, or volunteer activities, or demonstrated interest;
• strong writing skills;
• strong interviewing skills;
• ability to interact and engage with wide range of persons, including students, clients, advocacy organizations, and others.
• fluency in or working knowledge of Spanish;
• experience working on immigration issues;
• experience conducting legal intakes or interviews;
• ability to work independently.
Applications should be submitted online and must be received by January 26, 2018, 5:00 PM PST. Applicants will be considered on a rolling basis and the position may be filled before the deadline.
Minimum Education: Bachelor’s degree, Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education
Minimum Experience: 2 years
Minimum Field of Expertise: Directly related professional experience in program specialization, e.g., counseling or teaching.
Preferred Education: J.D.
REQ20054662 Posted Date: 01/07/2018
Location/Region: Los Angeles, CA (US)