First American Financial Corporation (NYSE: FAF) operates through its family of companies to help people achieve and protect their dream of homeownership. First American was named one of FORTUNE's 100 Best Companies to Work For® in 2016 and 2017. With experience dating back to 1889, First American is a leading provider of title insurance protection and settlement services to the real estate and mortgage industries. More information about the company can be found at www.firstam.com
Come work with us! - We were recently named to the FORTUNE "100 Best Companies to Work For®" list for 2017.
We need someone who understands the ‘big picture impact' of the accounting process. Conducting insightful assessments of our businesses with an awareness of financial impact will be an important part of your job. You will review multiple foreign subsidiaries’ financial statements and ensure they are in compliance with U.S. GAAP. You will actively pursue process improvements and your on-going partnerships with our finance teams will lead to continuously improving service levels.
We are looking for someone who thrives in a dynamic, established company and enjoys the challenges of understanding business needs and acting on them. Someone with a strong technical background in accounting principles and practices to provide accounting support and guidance to our International offices. We want a hands-on strategic individual who works independently as well as in a highly collaborative team environment.
Your job duties will include:
• Balance sheet and Income Statement reviews.
• Partnership with the Finance teams in resolving issues and streamlining the accounting process.
• Perform complex accounting activities to maintain the integrity of the general ledger. This includes researching, as necessary, new pronouncements for reporting. Review and identify trends or issues and the related sources to make recommendations for change.
• Prepare journal entries, reconcile ledger accounts and perform monthly and quarterly fluctuation analysis.
• Prepare quarterly reporting schedules for SEC reporting.
• Interface and assist with internal and external audit.
• Lead special projects including process improvement initiatives.
• Play key role in monthly close process.
• Perform account analysis to assist with ensuring accurate financial reporting.
• Ability to demonstrate critical thinking by calling out assumptions and identifying root cause.
• Identify errors and risks that could have a financial impact on the company’s financial statements in accordance with company policies, IFRS, US GAAP and in compliance with Sarbanes Oxley.
• Communicate with multiple levels in the organization and escalate issues to appropriate management.
• Ability to build and maintain key relationships in order to complete tasks in an efficient manner.
• Partner with Training or Subject matter experts to develop desktop procedures and training materials.
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related study.
• CPA or CPA candidate desired, but not required.
• 2-4 years of related experience.
• Experience working with foreign subsidiaries is preferred.
• Ability to develop specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work.
• Excellent analytical, verbal, and written communication skills.
• Advanced knowledge in the interpretation and application of accounting principles and practices under US GAAP. Knowledge of IFRS is a plus.
• Proficient in MS Office. Strong Excel skills required. Ability to work proficiently with large data files.
• Large ERP Software experience, Oracle preferred.
• Hyperion experience preferred.
• Critical Thinking - Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
• Complex Problem Solving - Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
• Judgment and Decision Making - Consider the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
First American invests in its employee’s development and well-being, empowers them to provide superior customer service and encourages them to serve the communities where they live and work. First American is committed to diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer. For more information about our Company and our dedication to putting People First, check out firstam.com/careers.
Location/Region: Santa Ana, CA