Shire is the leading global biotechnology company focused on serving people with rare diseases and other highly specialized conditions. We strive to develop best-in-class products, many of which are available in more than 100 countries, across core therapeutic areas including Hematology, Immunology, Neuroscience, Ophthalmic, Lysosomal Storage Disorders, Gastrointestinal/Internal Medicine/Endocrine and Hereditary Angioedema; and a growing franchise in Oncology.
Our employees come to work every day with a shared mission: to develop and deliver breakthrough therapies for the hundreds of millions of people in the world affected by rare diseases and other high-need conditions, and who lack effective therapies to live their lives to the fullest.
The Head of Site Engineering will lead and manage LA Site engineering. The position reports into the Head of Engineering in the Plasma OPU.
Provides holistic engineering and maintenance support to the site to sustainably achieve capacity plans and fulfillment targets. Maintains equipment and facilities, performs facilities management including operations of utilities and critical systems, and provides engineering technical support, and capital planning and execution.
Serves as a member of the Plasma OpU Engineering Leadership Team. Serves as a standing member of the Site Leadership Team, which helps set strategic direction for all site engineering organizations including validation and is accountable for operating results.
Frequently manages an organization and a budget in excess of $5 million dollars. Based on significant technical expertise, reviews and approves complex design concepts of technical staff. Provides strong technical direction to staff.
- Maintenance and Facilities Engineering Services of utilities, facilities, production equipment and clean media systems across the Los Angeles site
- Building and developing a strong, capable team
- Building and executing financial plans and budgets, and allocating resources effectively and efficiently to meet business goals
- Developing and implementing strategic plans to provide reliable plant utility and production equipment services to accomplish the vision to result in a “competitive advantage” for the company
- Driving continuous improvement in operations and a process oriented, fact based culture
- Developing process understanding and control to support production of high-quality products with minimal waste, and assure that processes and products are safe and effective.
- Managing operations of internal and external (oversight) of workforces executing maintenance, metrology/calibration, and facilities services at cGMP biotech sites with 24/7 operations (if needed)
- Managing Central reliability engineering of all Maintenance and calibration activities
- Managing safety, compliance, and financial performance of organization while meeting customer KPIs and production goals
- Assure that Reliability Maintenance, and sound maintenance industry practices, cGMPs, SOPs, Division Procedures, Engineering Standards and Good Engineering Practices are appropriately integrated in all maintenance processes.
- Provides strategic planning leadership by setting strategies and priorities based upon anticipation and application of industry trends and emerging technologies.
- Create and communicate global vision of the organization’s contribution to the business unit/division goals, insuring industry leadership.
- Maximize the effectiveness of internal and external resources (business unit and cross-business unit) to meet business objectives.
- Create and maintain an environment where team members experience personal and professional growth and become a more self-directed team.
- Review and approves proposals to determine if benefits derived and possible applications justify expenditures. Presents proposal to senior management for consideration and allocation of funds. Responsible for preparation of project cost estimates up to multi-million dollar range. Directs all project expenditures and cost tracking.
- Must possess strong knowledge of engineering disciplines (e.g. fluid flow, thermodynamics, heat transfer, static’s and dynamics, engineering materials) and solid knowledge of related disciplines.
- Ability to establish long-range business plans which anticipate global trends, technical, economic and socio-political conditions.
- Proven track record of management/leadership effectiveness.
- Must possess strong ability to negotiate and maximize effectiveness of resources and influence others internally and externally.
- Must be a team player.
Education and/or experience
- BS in Engineering, with advanced technical degree desirable.
- 10 or more years of relevant technical experience. Several years of technical management experience including cross-functional teams, resource and budget management and strategic development experience.
- Must be able to lift, push, pull and carry up to 50 lbs.
- In general, the position requires a combination of sedentary work and walking around observing conditions in the facility.
- Must be able to work in controlled environments requiring special gowning. Will be required to follow gowning requirements and wear protective clothing over the head, face, hands, feet and body.
- No make-up, jewelry, contact lenses, nail polish or artificial fingernails may be worn in the manufacturing environment.
- Must be able to work multiple shifts, including weekends.
- May be required to work in a confined area.
- Some Clean Room and cool/hot storage conditions.
Location/Region: Los Angeles, CA