The City of Torrance Community Services Department is seeking six (6) enthusiastic, innovative, and dynamic individuals to join their Librarian team!
Come serve the community of Torrance as they live, learn, work, and play in a City supportive of youth, seniors, families, and education.
Senior Library Technician
The department is seeking two (2) full-time Senior Library Technicians with strong leadership abilities and a passion for public libraries. Under direction, Senior Library Technicians perform highly complex and specialized library support work, assist the public in basic reference work, and perform related work as required. The most successful candidates will be dynamic individuals who have experience working with a diverse public, supervising staff members and volunteers, with a keen attention to detail, and the ability to exercise independent judgment.
Salary: $23.45 - $30.72 Hourly
(Additional 10% premium for assignment to night shift)
For a detailed job description, click here
. Library Technician
The department is also seeking four (4) part-time Library Technicians who are dependable, resourceful, and have a passion for providing excellent public service in a team-oriented library system. Library Technicians perform highly specialized library support work, using clerical, technology, and public service skills, which requires independent judgment and functional expertise in library operations utilizing a variety of office machines. Performs related work as required.
Salary: $19.76 - $25.20 Hourly
(Up to 7.5% premium based on assignment)
Education and ExperienceAny combination of education and experience that would have provided the required knowledge and skills is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and skills would be: Senior Library Technician
Bachelor's degree and one year of experience in a library environment; OR
Associate's degree or equivalent and three years of experience in a library environment; OR
Library Support Staff Certificate and three years of experience in a library environment; OR
High school graduation or equivalent and five years of experience in a library environment.Library Technician
Bachelor's degree; OR
Associate's degree or equivalent and two (2) years of experience in a library environment; OR
Library Support Staff Certificate and two (2) years of experience in a library environment; OR
High School graduation and four (4) years of experience in a library environment.Ideal CandidateThe ideal candidate for BOTH positions will possess:
In addition to the above, the ideal candidate for Senior Library Technician positions will also possess the following personal and professional qualities:
- A proven track record of delivering high-quality and exceptional customer service;
- Ability to communicate effectively with individuals from diverse socioeconomic, educational and cultural backgrounds;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Experience in effectively handling multiple projects and shifting priorities;
- Excellent organizational and research skills with the ability to follow through;
- Good judgment; and
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment, as well as independently.
- Practice a flexible leadership style emphasizing collaboration;
- Demonstrate the ability to build a strong team, mentor employees and volunteers, and develop the technical and professional skills of staff;
- Think strategically, anticipate problems, and bring innovative solutions;
- Identify key issues in complex situations, evaluate options, and initiate strategies for resolution;
- Proactive and effective communicator, both orally and in writing; and
- Demonstrate skill in working with a wide range of people with tact, diplomacy, ethics, and integrity.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates must submit an online application and supplemental questionnaire at www.TorranceCA.Gov/Jobs. The application filing period opens Wednesday, January 31, 2018 and closes Wednesday, February 21, 2018 at 5:30 p.m.
Applicants with disabilities who require special testing arrangements must contact Human Resources. If you have a disability for which you require an accommodation, please contact us at (310) 618-2915 no later than five (5) business days before the test date.
As a condition of employment, candidates must pass a background check and a pre-employment medical examination.
The provisions of this announcement do not constitute an expressed or implied contract, and any provisions contained in this announcement may be modified or revoked without notice.