This position performs inspections of buildings and structures in all stages of construction to ensure work is performed in accordance with State and local building codes and approved plans.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Building Inspector I:
This is an entry-level position for applicants who have limited or no directly related building inspection experience. This level is typically used as a training classification where employees work under close supervision, learning the building inspection functions.
• Performs routine, simple inspections for small projects such as room additions and remodels, decks and patio covers, private swimming pools, furnace and water heater change-outs, photo voltaic systems, retaining walls, re-roofs, window change-outs, re-piping, and residential electrical panel upgrades
• Ensures buildings and structures comply with approved plans and specifications, State and local building codes and regulations, and other safety standards
• Assists at the Permit Center public counter providing building code information, interpreting and explaining requirements for code compliance to contractors, property owners, and the public
• Investigates construction related complaints and works with contractors or property owners to resolve construction issues; issues stop work orders for unpermitted construction activities; identifies and communicates solutions to bring projects into compliance; performs follow-up inspections to ensure compliance
• Maintains accurate documentation of inspection records
• Establishes a positive working relationship with contractors, homeowners, developers, State and local agencies, City staff, and the public
Building Inspector II:
This position is responsible for performing the full range of residential, commercial, and industrial building inspections in the following disciplines: structural, plumbing, electrical, and mechanical. Employees at this level are expected to have strong technical code knowledge, allowing them to work independently, take initiative, and exercise sound judgment in the field.
In addition to the job duties and responsibilities listed for Building Inspector I position, this level:
• Performs the full range of residential, commercial, and industrial building inspections for medium-range residential and commercial project including tract homes, custom homes, residential and commercial room additions and remodels, tenant improvements, commercial electrical panel upgrades, equipment change-outs for commercial buildings, new tilt-up construction, small churches, small restaurants, small gyms, club houses, and retail offices
• Assists in training Building Inspector I employees on inspections and code requirements
Location/Region: Valencia, CA (US - 91355)