UC San Diego
Filing Deadline: Wed 3/14/2018
Salary Range: $16.47 - $21.72 / Hour
Under general supervision, perform a variety of skilled and
semi-skilled landscape maintenance duties in the care of the University’s
landscaped areas; provide safe and appropriate environment, facilities and
outdoor classrooms for the use and enjoyment of students, faculty, staff and
visitors; perform maintenance and repair functions in the care of landscaped
areas and related facilities. Job functions include but not limited to:
maintaining and repairing irrigation systems, operating a variety of landscape
maintenance power equipment and machinery, selective pruning of shrubs and
small trees in accordance with University guidelines, fertilizing, planting,
turf maintenance and litter pickup.
• Must be physically able to perform all essential
• May be required to work overtime as operationally
• Demonstrated experience in landscape maintenance work
including knowledge of methods, tools, materials and related equipment. At
least one year recent relevant work experience or a combination of education
and experience as a Landscape Technician or Groundskeeper at a University,
College, Hospital, Municipality, and/or other large commercial facility.
• Demonstrated experience maintaining Southern
California plant material; solid understanding of their cultural requirements,
pests and diseases; ability to identify undesirable plant material.
• Demonstrated experience maintaining and repairing
irrigation systems utilizing recognized standards, guidelines, applications and
practices. Demonstrated experience creating irrigation schedules and
programming irrigation controllers based on horticultural and water
• Experience safely operating commonly used landscape
maintenance equipment and tools such as but not limited to: mower, edger,
blower, hedge trimmer, line trimmer, chain saw, rake, shovel, hoe, broom, and
other related landscape maintenance equipment and tools. Experience in the
operation of trenchers; aerators; tractors; roto-tillers and other commonly used
power driven landscape maintenance equipment.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
ability to interact in a positive manner within a multi-cultural environment.
• Flexibility to adjust to changing priorities and
ability to follow through and carry out assignments.
• Ability to understand and carry-out verbal and
written instructions; problem solving skills and sound judgment.
• Ability to perform heavy and physically demanding
work for lengthy and continuous periods of time.
• Basic computer skills to check email, enter time and
material data and to complete electronic records.
• DOJ/FBI background check clearances required prior to
hire. DMV driving record check clearance prior to hire.
• Must possess and maintain California Drivers License.
The University of California is an Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex,
national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or
sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination
and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
Location/Region: San Diego, CA