The Bindery Folder/Cutter Operator operates a paper cutter and folding machinery. Performs manual and machine operator tasks on guillotine paper cutter machines (i.e. Polar, Perfecta or Inpro brands) and MBO folder. Working knowledge of the setup, adjustments, procedures, capabilities, limitations and maintenance of equipment to perform the full range of standard and specialized cutting of printed materials. General knowledge of multiple folding units, either individually or combined to perform standard and specialized folds of printed materials.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Examines work order to determine setup specifications or inserts sample sheet in machine and sets guides to edge of sheet.
- Delivers folded material to the machine inserters for use in bulk mailings.
- Adjusts air blasts on feeder to regulate amount of air separating sheets of paper to provide continuous flow of paper through machine.
- Adjusts conveyor blades or knurled rollers to feed sheet into folding rollers.
- Turns screws to regulate tension of creasing blades and folding rollers according to thickness of paper and size and number of folds specified.
- Sets slitting knives to slit sheets as specified.
- Stacks sheets to be folded on conveyor belt of automatic feed.
- Takes cutting orders and sets up cutter in accordance with instructions
- Sets automatic cutting programs into machines
- Operates paper cutter to cut and trim blank stock and printed material that is to be further processed in the Pressroom or Bindery.
- Performs preventative maintenance on paper cutting machinery such as blade replacement, lubrication and waxing.
- May use lift truck to carry pallets with blank stock and printed paper from loading area to Press area, and from Press area to Bindery
- Familiar with different paper weights, sizes
- Capable of changing knife
- Experience operating a programmable Cutter
- Follows safety rules
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Basic math skills required
- Basic computer skills
- Must be able to stand for long periods
- Must be able to lift up to 45 pounds
Qualifications and Skills
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum 2-years operating guillotine cutter machines (Polar) and MBO folder
- Knowledge of all procedures required to safely operate a guillotine cutting machine.
- High attention to detail
- Ability to read and interpret written work orders or other job specifications containing bindery requirements which indicate the number and sequence of machine operations required to complete the work and to maintain dimensional accuracy in accordance with instructions
- Ability to operate additional bindery equipment a plus
- Ability to communicate/understand written as well as oral instructions
O'Neil is a leader in providing the marketing communications and publishing needs of major corporations. With a large in-house programming staff, we deliver digital print and web-driven member communication solutions to the healthcare, financial, and direct mail markets. We have the largest installment of HP digital web presses in the world and are continuing to develop innovative digital finishing and inserting solutions to press the digital revolution forward. We are known for our quality focus and outstanding client service. We have a diverse workforce keeping the focus on our people, trust and teamwork, and we maintain a high degree of integrity while exceeding the expectations of our clients.
O'Neil offers a competitive compensation package including a 401k savings plan, medical/dental/vision/life insurance coverage, flexible spending and dependent care plan, paid sick, vacation, holidays and profit sharing benefits.
Location/Region: Los Angeles, CA (US)