Regional Director, MSL - West Region
Territory is West Region - will consider candidates who reside within the respective regional geography with proximity / access to a major airport.
Target cities for the territory are Dallas, TX, Denver, CO and Los Angeles, CA.Territory includes: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oregon, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming.
No company knows the brain better. Lundbeck is uncompromisingly committed to the research, development and delivery of targeted therapies for people living with significant psychiatric and neurological disorders. At Lundbeck, we believe life is too beautiful to be interrupted by brain disorders. So, we pursue imaginative solutions, driven by passionate people committed to do the right thing for our patients, our company and our communities. Lundbeck strives to be a leader in depression, schizophrenia, Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease.
For Lundbeck, making a meaningful difference for patients is more than an aspiration: it is a commitment that shapes everything we do. Our advocacy for patients isn’t an invented “company value” – it is at the core of who we are and motivates every individual at Lundbeck. Our ongoing engagement with patient communities is not what you might expect from a pharmaceutical company – we create our own programs to help patients and caregivers not simply manage their conditions but thrive in spite of them.
The Regional Director, Medical Science Liaisons: leads, manages, coaches, trains, and develops Neurology and Psychiatry Medical Science Liaisons (MSLs) in an assigned region; serves as a product(s) lead for the MSL team; oversees the allocation of personnel and resources to support MSL goals and objectives, as well as the overall Lundbeck medical business objectives; contributes to the development of MSL, Medical Affairs, and product brand strategies; and ensures MSL regional execution of the medical and scientific strategies and tactics across products.
* Oversees field activities, direction, and administration of an assigned region, consisting of both Neurology and Psychiatry MSLs
* Serves as a product(s) lead amongst the Regional Directors, thereby setting product-related MSL goals and objectives, involvement in product brand planning, driving the product tactics, and keeping the relevant team members abreast of related matters
+ Meets face-to-face with relevant alliance partner key stakeholders on a routine and frequent basis
* Performs regular field visits to assess skills (technical knowledge, scientific acumen and communication skills), identifies coaching/development opportunities and evaluates performance
* Leads, manages, coaches, trains, and develops MSLs within the region to support high performance, and to align with strategic direction for Lundbeck; assesses performance against MSL goals
* Collaborates with Associate Director of Education and Training to design, implement, and deliver relevant therapeutic area and product-related training curriculum and programs for the MSL team
* Participates in cross-functional meetings and information sharing sessions to ensure adequate resource planning for annual MSL team objectives
* Works closely with internal stakeholders, spanning multiple functions, to develop appropriate regional strategies and key activities to support the goals of the MSL function, MA, and Lundbeck
* Implements compliance initiatives for the MSL team, and oversees the work product and performance of the MSL
* Develops, analyzes, and shares monthly reports of field activity with key stakeholders; proactively manages trends and takes advantage of opportunities
* Oversees and manages regional budgets, and approves team member’s expense reports
* Maintains clinical and technical expertise in the area of Psychiatry and Neurology through review of the scientific literature and attendance at key scientific meetings
* Raises issues to upper management as needed (e.g., National MSL Director, VP Medical Affairs, Human Resources, Finance, etc.)
* Acts as a liaison between team and headquarters regarding productivity expectations and performance evaluation
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE and SKILLS:
* Accredited Masters degree in a health sciences related field
* 7+ years of healthcare or related experience (clinical practice, research, academic, pharmaceutical industry, or managed markets)
* Prior pharmaceutical industry experience
* Prior experience as an MSL and/or similar field-based medical position (e.g., Managed Market Liaison, Medical Science Outcomes Liaison, etc.)
* Knowledge of applicable pharmaceutical industry legal and regulatory guidelines
* Demonstrated success in leadership and coaching
* Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated excellence in collaborating, building/maintaining relationships, and encouraging teamwork across multiple departments within a pharmaceutical company
* Ability to proactively find areas of improvement and efficiency, bring solutions to leadership, and follow-through on the solution
* Flexibility to adapt and meet the changing/growing needs of the organization
* Results-oriented with the ability to manage ambiguity and master complexity
* Excellent written verbal communication skills, including strong presentation and teaching skills
* Ability to consistently and effectively communicate from top down, bottom up, and across the organization
* Strong organizational skills with the ability to prioritize workload when facing multiple tasks, deadlines, and competing demands
* Ability to learn and convey both clinical and non-clinical technical information effectively
* Ability to lead and influence both internal and external key decision makers
* Deep self-awareness with the ability to give and receive timely feedback
* Ability to understand interdependencies of the broader organization, the importance of timely responsiveness, and the ability to manage expectations of internal and external key stakeholders
* Ability to work independently as a hands-on manager, and proactively contribute as a resource when necessary
PREFERRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
* Accredited advanced healthcare degree (e.g., PharmD, PhD, PsyD, MD, NP, or PA)
* Accredited Master of Business Administration (MBA)
* 2+ years actual MSL experience
* Previous experience in the CNS therapeutic area, with Major Depressive Disorder (MDD), Schizophrenia, Epilepsy, or Movement Disorder experience
* Proven ability to build and develop effective people and teams
* Previous managerial experience of individuals with an advanced scientific degree
* Willingness/Ability to travel up to 75% domestically. International travel may be required. Travel is for purpose of: (a) regularly meeting/interacting with customer base and internal personnel within assigned territory; and (b) typically attend 6-8 internal/external conferences and meetings spanning locations within the United States. All travel must be able to be completed in a timely manner.
Location/Region: Los Angeles, CA (US - 90016)