Further your career with our company. We have been creating unique fruit and flavor solutions for the food and beverage industry for more than fifty years. Our reputation for creativity, innovation and technological advancement fueled our expansion into broader-based flavor capabilities. We are seeking a diverse, highly motivated and qualified individual to lead as our R&D Chemist If you enjoy working in a fast-paced, growing environment, this is the opportunity for you!
The R & D Chemist analyzes, develops and improves existing and new products using existing and new raw materials and requires little to no supervision doing this work. Matches products supplied by customers and internal personnel from competitors. Calculates costing on all products developed. Directs the evaluation and testing of prototypes. May have some supervisory responsibility directing the work of Assistant and Associate R & D Chemists and technicians.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Must demonstrate superior product development creativity.
2. Develop and/or improve new and existing products including juice concentrates and flavors, based on defined customer or in-house requirements.
3. Must taste all products developed.
4. Begin to determine feasibility of certain projects based on company limitations.
5. Perform costing analysis on all work performed.
6. Create master formulas and compounding instructions as needed.
7. Prepare product specification sheets for submission to customers.
8. Begin to contact customers to determine their requirements with regard to product development.
9. Develop products that meet or exceed customer applications.
10. Begin to provide technical assistance to customers and brokers.
11. Perform shelf-life studies and stability testing of products to ensure they meet our claims.
12. Organize and establish guidelines, procedures and policies for handling all outgoing samples.
13. Assist QC and Production in first-time production of all new products.
1. B. S. in Food Science or related science discipline.
2. Must be able to fulfill the functions of the Associate R & D Chemist
3. Must demonstrate excellent taste and aroma sense acuity.
4. Proficient in verbal and written English.
5. Some supervisory experience and/or training.
6. Must have visual acuity to evaluate sample appearance and use lab instruments.
7. Must be able to lift and carry up to 15 pounds occasionally.
AFF manufactures custom juice and flavor blends for a wide variety of industrial users worldwide. Companies come to us for the latest and best ingredient blends and flavor systems for their products. In business over 50 years, we have two manufacturing plants and a distribution warehouse in Southern California.