The Youth Engagement Specialist will be responsible to create a safe, engaging and caring environment in our 24 hour Short Term Residential Treatment Programs for youth ages 12-19 foster youth. This position will facilitate the day to day services offered in the milieu for the Los Angeles Youth Network. Services will include, life skills and leading youth day-to-day activities and crisis interventions and to ensure that all services are provided in accordance with the Los Angeles Youth Network mission statement, Value Statement, Code of Conduct and LAYN Policies and Procedures.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Provide quality therapeutic care to all residents and comply with licensing regulations, and ensure that we follow all policies and procedures in order to meet agency and national accreditation standards.
- Foster engagement with youth for a more significant youth participation outside of the program and/ or program itself.
- Responsible for teaching, assisting, supervising, and praising any and all efforts made regarding youth accomplishments in our programs.
- Work collaboratively with youth to address their full range of needs and maintain professional boundaries.
- Manage crisis and provide service intervention as needed.
- Support youth generated activities, lead group and recreational activities.
- Provide facilitation or co-facilitation for groups that build skills in a variety of areas; including
- self-sufficiency, employment readiness, education, health (physical and emotional), and
- Provide support for youth to accomplish the goals identified in their treatment plan, safety Plan or Individual Service Plan.
- Provide appropriate supervision and engagement with youth.
- Ensure that all housekeeping tasks are completed on a regular basis.
- Support and advocate for enrichment and education groups.
- Maintain accurate case records. This includes timely Special Incident Reports, daily logs, progress notes, and other necessary data.
- Participate in appropriate transition meetings on a daily basis.
- Ensure that we are consistently meeting agency and national accreditation standards.
- Ensure that all emergency procedures are followed per facility policy.
- Provide awake nightly activities and supervision in the facilities if you are working the overnight shift.
- Administer and handle all medications according to current state regulations.
- Other duties as assigned
- Must be 21 years old
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work or related field preferred
- 1-2 years working with youth in numerous settings
- Ability to de-escalate youth in crisis situations on a consistent basis.
- Superior communication, organization and interpersonal skills.
- Commitment to ongoing professional development.
- Ability to serve as a role model for youth.
- Creativity, flexibility, Innovation, optimism, and positive humor.
- Experience working as part of a team, while also demonstrating initiative and ability to work independently.
- Satisfactorily fulfill the requirements for employment at the Los Angeles Youth Network, i.e. references, physical examination, criminal records clearance, etc.
- Certificates/Licenses: Valid CA Driver’s License (must pass insurance underwrites)
The Los Angeles Youth Network mission is to empower abused, neglected and homeless adolescents 12-21 to become self-sufficient. We do this by providing emergency shelter, housing, supportive services, a transitional living program, and educational enrichment programs in a safe and nurturing environment.
Location/Region: Los Angeles, CA (US)