The Assistant Controller assists the Controller and the Chief Financial Officer in all accounting functions, including month-end and year-end closing, and the annual external audit. The Assistant Controller supervises three staff who are responsible performing general accounting functions, cash management, financial analysis, and budget. Other duties include overseeing payroll processing and benefits management, as well as accounts payable processing. Also handle special projects as necessary.
- Must be detail oriented, accurate, thorough, and possess demonstrated expertise in financial statement preparation, financial analysis and budgeting.
- 7-10 years experience in accounting and finance.
- 5-7 years of supervisory experience
- Competency in personal computer skills, ADP Workforce Now and E-Time and Microsoft Office.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and communication skills with an ability to relate to persons of all ages and diverse backgrounds, skills, and abilities.
- Self-starter/pro-active, and a team player
- Must have integrity and resolve issues in a professional manner
- Work effectively and efficiently under time pressure
- Must be a team player and a proactive problem solver.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or equivalent, CPA or MBA preferred
MAJOR JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform month-end and year-end closing.
- Prepare and analyze financial statement monthly.
- Perform budget variance analysis monthly.
- Prepare accounts reconciliation with supporting documentation monthly.
- Prepare bank reconciliation monthly.
- Manage cash and cash flow projection on a daily basis.
- Participate in annual institutional budgeting process.
- Management of all benefits and payroll duties.
- Review grant agreements and contracts to determination revenue recognition in accordance with GAAP.
- Prepare year-end audit closing entries and schedules and serves as the primary contact with the independent auditors.
- Act as immediate contact with government auditors performing program audits on accounting matters
- Serve as a key resource to all departments for inquires or concerns.
- Provide additional monthly management reporting as needed.
- Responsible for the supervision/training of 3 staff.
- Develop mutually established performance standards with staff supervised; review staff performance on an annual basis.
- Prepare accounting procedures & policies
- Manage the maintenance of storage and organization of records.
- Perform other duties as required.